Thursday 13 November 2014

Crochet Snowflakes

 

I can't believe I've started something for Christmas before Christmas Eve! I'm usually running around like a headless chicken, decorating, writing cards and buying or making last-minute presents. I never seem to learn. This year, though, I'm already feeling very smug - although they are only tree decorations, not gifts. Doh! (I suppose they could be.)

That's probably why I'm enjoying it. I don't know about you, but this Christmas present lark fills me with dread. My mind goes blank when I try to think of the 'perfect' gift for people. I leave all the kids' presents to my husband, he loves it, and starts squirreling things away from about July. Good hubby.

I am just a rubbish present buyer.

But I'm not thinking about that now, I've got loads of time - I need to make more snowflakes for my tree.

Now we have a bit more space in our new house (getting more cluttered every day), I have decided we need two Christmas trees: One for my husband and the children to decorate with tacky coloured lights and mismatched decorations. (Actually a lot of them are lame toys of my husband's which he insists on hanging up - I'm rolling my eyes as I write this). And one for me. Which will, of course, be very tasteful and restrained. I found some snowflake lights in Ikea, to go with my crocheted snowflakes, and I also have some lovely Swarovski snowflake decorations that my in-laws have given us every year since we were married. And that will be all. No tinsel, no baubles, no flashing colours, no tat! I will put it on the little side table next to my sofa, and admire it daily.


I've only made eleven so far; I'm aiming for about twenty-five. I've got plenty to choose from, though, as they are from Caitlin Sainio's 100 Snowflakes to Crochet. It has beginner, intermediate and advanced designs, but even the advanced ones have no more than 8 rounds to work, and most of them only have 4 or 5 rounds. Which makes them really quick makes, and so satisfying. There is a lot of information on how to block them properly, too, along with hints on yarns and hooks to use. I love dipping into it, as I can be holding my finished snowflake in less than ten minutes!

Which reminds me - gotta make more snowflakes!

Just a peek at one of my upcoming posts...a red lipstick review.


Theodora.

3 comments:

  1. I really like the look of these pretty snowflakes. Must learn to crochet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a lot of lippie!

    I'm with your husband on the Christmas tree front, I like mine covered in colour and glitter and whimsical things. Paperchase is selling glass baubles shaped like robots this year and I MUST HAVE THEM! Though it must be splendid having a tree each, it'd solve all arguments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I missed this blog. Have just had a MAC lipstick delivery from across the pond so await your lipstick review with a vested interest!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...